Whether your skills are technical, non-technical, or even a bit rusty, we can use your support! The volunteer roles range from program support, pre-event planning, assistance with workshops/competitions, or mentoring a team, and all are vital within FIRST Chesapeake. Your time commitment could be from one day at a workshop or competition to several hours per week working with a team. We would love for you to join us.
If you are interested in becoming a judge at a competition, please read our FRC judging expectations here.
Did you know?
- A qualifying tournament in the FIRST Robotics Competition or the FIRST Tech Challenge can require up to 100 volunteers each day. The Championships need more than 120 volunteers, both technical and non-technical, per day.
- There are more than 130 FIRST Robotics Competition teams across the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia. Nearly 200 teams in Virginia participate in the FIRST Tech Challenge. Many of these teams need adult mentors to help with team organization, project management, mechanical and electrical design, programming, CAD, marketing, web applications, presentation skills, and more.
To get started, click here to provide us with some preliminary information about you.
If you would like some more information before volunteering:
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions about becoming a mentor or event volunteer.
Age requirements for volunteers:
- Event volunteers must be at least 13 years of age, with some restrictions.
- Parent/guardian permission is required for all volunteers under 18.
- For high school students who require community service hours to graduate, the on-site volunteer coordinator can sign your forms. Notify the volunteer coordinator in advance of the event. For all other types of community involvement, please contact us at email@example.com
To apply to volunteer:
- Go to the Volunteer Information Management System on the FIRST website: https://my.firstinspires.org/AccountManager/Account/Register
- If a returning volunteer, you will need to agree to the Terms and Conditions to initiate the process for this season.
- New volunteers will have to create an account and be screened, under the FIRST Youth Protection Program. You will then be able to to apply for an event.
- Once your profile is created or updated, you will be able to search for the FTC or FRC event that you are interested in, and sign up. (NOTE: you have to sign up for at least one event for your application to go on to screening)
- You will be able to leave comments and additional information, as needed.