Our programs, operations and competitions don’t happen without hundreds of people just like you. For the 2015-16 season the FIRST Chesapeake Districts will engage more than 1000 volunteers supporting 8 competitions in MD, DC and VA. It takes a wide range of volunteers to run the FIRST Chesapeake District competitions. Some volunteer positions require technical skills but many simply require enthusiasm and willingness to help support FIRST.
Process to volunteer:
- Look over our calendar of events here.
- Decide which roles you are interested in.
- Register in the FIRST Volunteer Information and Matching System (VIMS). You will provide your background information, apply for positions at specific events, and indicate the days you are available.
- NOTE: You need to apply to at least one event to trigger the YPC screening process. You may opt out of providing your social security number and/or making a donation.
- NOTE: Many positions require a multi day commitment.
- The local Volunteer Coordinator will be in touch with you.
Youth Protection Program
FIRST is dedicated to promoting safety, and security, for participants, volunteers, and staff who attend FIRST events. The procedures we have established protect you as a volunteer, and FIRST as an organization.
Age requirements for volunteers:
- Event Volunteers who are 18 years of age or older, are required to obtain Youth Protection Clearance (YPC).
- Event volunteers must be at least 13 years of age, however, some events set a higher minimum age requirement.
For more on the Youth Protection Program (YPP) and the Youth Protection Clearance (YPC): http://www.firstinspires.org/resource-library/youth-protection-policy
There is training available for all event positions. Some training will be available on-line and other training occurs on-site.
Example of training manuals http://www.firstinspires.org/ways-to-help/volunteer/returning-volunteers
Contact Us – [email protected]