Saturday, January 23, 2021, 10:00am - 11:30am
Want to learn more about building mentoring relationships? How about exploring strategies that bring together students and volunteers from different backgrounds to make the best team possible?
FIRST Chesapeake is pleased to offer three free professional development workshops for current and potential mentors and volunteers in partnership with MENTOR Virginia.
How to Build a Strong Team While Bringing Together Individuals from Different Backgrounds: Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Training for Mentors and Volunteers Working with Youth
MENTOR Virginia held multiple roundtable discussions with practitioners in a wide range of youth-centered and mentoring programs to develop training that explores many aspects of diversity, equity and inclusion. We are pleased to offer this comprehensive and thoughtfully-developed training.
- how to make honest and valuable connections with students and volunteers from different cultures and varied backgrounds;
- encouraging positive youth development through the power of choosing the right words;
- nurturing self-advocacy by encouraging and empowering young people;
- understanding how our perceptions may subconsciously impact our decision and actions;
- defining roles in encouraging honest and productive conversations;
- and recognizing the risks of color blindness and learning how to be color brave.
This is an interactive session and includes small-group activities. Two session times and dates are available. Space is limited so please register for only 1 session.