FIRST Chesapeake is proud to present a three-part series, sponsored by Qualcomm, that is designed to help deliver a truly inclusive experience to teams and fellow volunteers. Focusing upon equity, diversity, inclusion, and allyship, "Conversations for Change" is led by the highly-respected community advocate and founder of FMS Speaks, Fatima Smith. The goal of this series is to build happier, healthier, and more innovative teams through strategies that capitalize upon the unique skills and experiences of each individual.
- As an organization that inspires, supports, and empowers young people, FIRST Chesapeake is offering this opportunity to help better understand issues facing our youth and other members of our community.
- Each virtual session offers interactive and practical learning while also providing tools and resources to address change, support inclusive leadership, disrupt unconscious bias, and develop strategies on how to become an effective ally.
- All sessions are offered at no charge to current or potential FIRST volunteers in the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia, and all mentors and volunteers are encouraged to take advantage of this opportunity.
This is a very timely moment for all of us to identify what part we will play in making the most rewarding experience possible for the FIRST Chesapeake community. To help promote FIRST Chesapeake's vision of equity and social justice, qualified volunteers who participate in the series will be given priority for prime volunteer roles, when available.
- August 14th, 10am- 12:00pm - "Conversations for Change: Where does she, he, & they fit into robotics"
- September 18th, 10:00am-12:00pm - "Conversations for Change: Exploring race in robotics"
- October 16th, 10:00am-12:00pm - "Conversations for Change: Having PRIDE in robotics"