Reprinted from firstinspires: http://firsttechchallenge.blogspot.com/2019/01/hello-teams-once-again-im-pleased-to.html
Once again, I’m pleased to let you know that FIRST Tech Challenge will invite teams to apply for a waitlist spot for the FIRST World Championship tournament that serves their region. As we expand the event to 160 teams in both Houston and Detroit, I’m glad to have the opportunity to share the excitement of this grand event with even more students!
Here’s what you need to know about the waitlist:
- Your team can apply for the waitlist for the Championship Tournament that serves your region through the team dashboard at firstinspires.org.
- The waitlist is open now, and will remain open through February 14, 2019.
- We will do one drawing for each event, on February 15, 2019.
- Teams who have already participated in their State or Regional Championship Tournament, but have not advanced will receive an invitation from FIRST on February 18th, and will have one week to let us know if they do or do not plan to attend.
- Teams who did not earn their way to their State or Regional Championship Tournament will receive an invitation from FIRST on February 18th, and will have one week to let us know if they do or do not plan to attend.
- Teams from regions that have not held their State or Regional Championship Tournament will only receive an invitation after their event has taken place.
- Approximately 12 waitlist spots have been allocated for each of the two World Championship Tournaments
- Teams from the US and Canada must be fully registered in the FIRST Team Registration System. The Lead Coach/Mentor 1 and the Lead Coach/Mentor 2 must be screened.
- Teams from Mexico and outside North America must be fully registered in the FIRST Team Registration System and a Lead Coach/Mentor 1 and a Lead Coach/Mentor 2 must be assigned to the team.
As in previous seasons, this is not a first come – first served waitlist. When teams apply, their team number is entered into a lottery. Team numbers are weighted using the following criteria:
Receiving one lottery entry:
- Rookie Teams
- Teams that attended a World Championship event in April of 2018
- Inactive Veteran teams that returned in the current season
Receiving two lottery entries:
- Teams that were Rookie Teams in the 2017-2018 season
- Teams that last attended the World Championship in April of 2017
- Inactive Veteran teams that returned in the 2017-2018 season
Receiving three lottery entries:
- Teams that were Rookie Teams in the 2016-2017 season
- Teams that last attended the World Championship in April of 2016
- Inactive Veteran teams that returned in the 2016-2017 season
The maximum number of lottery entries for any team is 11.
If you have questions about how the waitlist works or applying, please send them to JoAnn at FirstTechChallengeTeams@firstinspires.org, and include “Championship Waitlist” in the email subject line.
JoAnn Halloran, Program Manager
FIRST Tech Challenge
Published: 09 January 2019