FIRST Chesapeake represents the FIRST Tech Challenge and FIRST Robotics Competition community in DC, Maryland, and Virginia and highly values the contributions of FIRST alumni as volunteers, mentors, and community advocates. In 2020, FIRST Chesapeake and Booz Allen Hamilton launched a new program that gave FIRST alumni opportunities to:
- connect with other FIRST alumni across the region;
- gain unique professional networking opportunities with FIRST supporters;
- receive training in FIRST volunteer leadership positions such as judging (21 and older), refereeing, FTA, robot inspector, etc.
- give back to teams and the FIRST community.
Who are Alumni Ambassadors?
FIRST Chesapeake Alumni Ambassadors are:
- a new generation of technical and trained competition volunteers (graduated from high school within the past ten years);
- models of Coopertition® and Gracious Professionalism®;
- mentors and volunteers who support FIRST Chesapeake teams, especially new teams and teams in high-need areas;
- advocates who can explain FIRST and speak to its impact at community events.
Applications are now being accepted for the 2022 FIRST Chesapeake Alumni Ambassadors cohort. The application deadline is October 25th, 2021. Up to twenty applicants will be selected and notified by November 1st, 2021. Eligibility and program details are included below and on the Alumni Ambassador Program application.
Thanks to the generosity of Booz Allen Hamilton, we have this opportunity to highlight the contributions of FIRST alumni, while ensuring we have a cohort of experienced, committed alumni volunteers to support the next generation of FIRST teams. The 2022 cohort of Alumni Ambassadors, selected in late October 2021, will be given the necessary training to assume more complex volunteer roles, be publicly acknowledged for their role as FIRST alumni representatives, and will be eligible for grants of $1,000 to the FIRST team or program of their choice.
In addition to the two mandatory volunteer service requirements, Alumni Ambassadors will also receive complimentary meals and lodging at the FIRST Chesapeake District Championship Sponsored by Newport News Shipbuilding, April 7th-9th, 2022, as compensation for their volunteer work at this event. NOTE: Event format and volunteer participation will be determined in accordance with CDC, local health guidelines, and the FIRST Chesapeake COVID 19 Safety Plan at a later date.
Completed application submitted by October 25th, 2021.
Ambassadors must be an FTC or FRC alumnus who has graduated from high school in the past ten years.
Ambassadors can be either:
- FIRST Chesapeake alumni- even if you go to university/college out of state (you can meet qualifications virtually)
- FIRST Alumni who participated in a FIRST FTC or FRC team anywhere, but to be eligible to serve as a FIRST Chesapeake Alumni Ambassador, participants must now reside in DC, Maryland, or Virginia.
Alumni Ambassador application deadline:
October 25th, 2021, 5:00PM
Selected Ambassadors will be notified by November 1st, 2021.
Upon completion of the Ambassador Program, $1,000 grants will be awarded to the FIRST team chosen by the Alumni Ambassador.
Contact Leighann Boland at